This is the official blog of ex-Sgt Ellie Bloggs. I was a real live police constable then sergeant for twelve years, on the real live front line of England. I'm now a real live non-police person. All the facts I recount are true, and are not secrets. If they don't want me blogging about it, they shouldn't do it. PS If you don't pay tax, you don't (or didn't) pay my salary.


(All proceeds from Google Ads will be donated to the Police Roll of Honour Trust)

Monday, June 23, 2008

Sorry isn't good enough:

My post on killer drivers a few days ago prompted a clash of views. Some people strongly feel that if you make a mistake whilst driving and someone dies as a result, you should be jailed for a considerable time. This seems to hold true regardless of whether or not there was any negligence involved.

This view reflects the fact that in the Twenty-First Century it is unacceptable to make a mistake. Boris Johnson's aide, James McGrath, has had to quit this week after responding to a question on black immigrants leaving the country (to escape the new London Mayor), with the words: "Let them go if they don't like it here". Everyone accepts that James McGrath "is not a racist", however his comment is, apparently, unforgivable and he can therefore no longer do his job.

Since becoming a police officer, I've said one or two stupid things, and done one or two inexperienced things, that have led to justifiable complaints. I've also said quite a lot and done quite a lot of perfectly brilliant things which have also led to complaints. (Not all members of the public appreciate my sense of humour.) In all the complaints, regardless of how justified they were, I was told not to contact the complainant but to let my inspector or Professional Standards investigate it. The message is that even if you are keen to apologise, "sorry" will probably not be good enough and you will just make things worse.

In two cases, I ignored my instructions and phoned the complainant directly to apologise. Both times they were exceedingly gracious, thanked me for the apology and dropped the complaint.

We are scared to say sorry nowadays, in case it's used against us later, or in case it doesn't work. But sometimes, sorry isn't just good enough. Sometimes it's everything.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
'Diary of an On-Call Girl' is available in all good bookstores and online.

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I usually start my conversations with members of the public who have had a HIDEOUSLY BAD SERVICE from us with the following phrase:

"I'm really sorry but at the moment Ruralshire Constabulary couldn't organise a piss-up. Let me sort it out for you"

You would be amazed how many say "Oh, OK then. Thanks" Some of them say "I work for so-and-so and that's a complete FUBAR too!"

Only those who have never had to actually produce anything themselves are difficult.

23 June, 2008 19:29

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Once or twice [:-)] I had complaints in from decent people who I may have been a bit rude to - first thing in the morning, long day etc. You all know how it is. I would have been quite happy for the governor to have apologised on my behalf and have it left at that. But I've always felt that the DPS are looking for any little thing to trip us up and sack us! I know that's over the top but that's how it's perceived.

Fortch, at the mo, I have a good boss who has boshed off the only complaint I've had in the last 12 months. It was from some evil poor (Copyright NJ) mouthbreather and was (I promise) completely groundless. I can well imagine less-strong inspectors not having the courage to deal with it this way, though.

23 June, 2008 19:44

 
Blogger uncommon said...

"sometimes, sorry isn't just good enough. Sometimes it's everything."

Ellie,

Smack on: IG is clearly on the money too. Mind you: he's wearing a white shirt: he should apologise: all day, every day:)

I can't tell you how many times I've heartily apologised: even if I didn't quite foul up terribly, but things did: and after I said sorry...things got better.

An apology disarms the other side: usually....

Not just at work:)


brendan

23 June, 2008 20:07

 
Blogger Bystander said...

You are dead right about the blame culture and the thirst for vengeance when someone has made a simple mistake. Can anyone think of any offence other than Death by Careless where you can get 5 years for a human error?

23 June, 2008 20:21

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've always beleived that the principle of "Sorry, I was wrong/out of order" was the very best answer.
Funnily enough the only times I have doubted this principle have been since I started working for the Police!!

23 June, 2008 20:29

 
Blogger uncommon said...

"the only times I have doubted this principle have been since I started working for the Police!"

Dangerous,

Would you care to say why that might be?

Not interrogating: just wondering if the world out there has changed since my dinosaur days.





brendan

23 June, 2008 20:36

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

""Some of them say "I work for so-and-so and that's a complete FUBAR too""
I got a load of grief off some bloke who had been waiting 4 days to see the cops. When I asked him what job he did and he said "project manager for the nhs" I knew I was on a winner.

"You know what its like , working for a government controlled, micro-managed organisation with an unhealthy interest in collecting statistics, an over zealous pre-occupation with "diversity issues", and a obsession with trivia and paperwork at the expense of helping people and getting the job done."

"Fair enough mate - good point" was the reply.

23 June, 2008 22:59

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree, admitting the problem, and saying sorry is both honest often works well. What doesn't often work is trying to weasel your way out of things. When will politicians learn eh!

24 June, 2008 22:08

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, when will politicians learn!

The two DC's from GMP did apologise to me, on behalf of the force, for the abuse done to me as a child by one of theirs, my godfather. It was sincere at the time and it did make me feel a little bit better. But as you quite rightly say, "Sorry" just isn't enough. And they didn't have the full story at the time.

Read the latest comment on "One persons word", and you decide if "Sorry" is enough.
I don't think so.

VERITAS

25 June, 2008 02:53

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Veritas - shocking no doubt.

But can the Police apologise for something committed by "one of theirs" out of duty time.

And is this what this article is about?

I hope the man went through the courts and I for one wouldn't back him up - however the article is more about on duty failings rather than criminal acts by a copper off duty.

25 June, 2008 07:00

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Morris enquiry, and its spawn, the latest Police regulations, currently working its way through parliament, are supposed to address this issue.

It recommends resolving matters locally without reference to PSD or even Inspectors.

The IPCC bogged down with loons has seen the light and is recommending more and quicker local resolution, even if it’s dressed up as “finding the learning “and “identifying the training need”

80-90 % of complaints are unsubstantiated; why should anyone say sorry if there is nothing to say sorry for?

Unnecessary apologising may mollify complainants in very low incidents, and you can baffle with a bit of bull if you like.

However, any robust institution, happy with its performance, should not be afraid to say no, and mean it.

The illusion of a win-win solution is a sham, Life’s not like that; it just creates a middling soup, and emboldens others to excuse all their own poor behaviour.

You wouldn't do it for you children

Why do it for adults?

25 June, 2008 10:10

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anon @ 7.00

No the "man" did not go through the courts. He, along with his pervert mates were given an army "beasting". He abused and killed little girls, by raping them, on and off duty. Nothing was done in the 1950's because the paedophile ring were "men" of rank and members of the judiciary.

And YES the police could apologise, put the records straight and PAY ME as promised, for job done.

Veritas

26 June, 2008 00:58

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

成人電影,情色,本土自拍, 一夜情, 辣妹視訊, 視訊聊天室, 免費視訊聊天, 免費視訊, 視訊, 視訊美女, 美女視訊, 視訊交友, 視訊聊天, 免費視訊聊天室, 情人視訊網影音視訊聊天室, 視訊交友90739, 成人影片, 成人交友, 本土自拍, 免費A片下載, 性愛,
成人交友, 嘟嘟成人網, 成人電影, 成人, 成人貼圖, 成人小說, 成人文章, 成人圖片區, 免費成人影片, 成人遊戲, 微風成人, 愛情公寓, 情色, 情色貼圖, 情色文學, 做愛, 色情聊天室, 美女交友,

嘟嘟成人網, 成人貼圖, 成人電影, A片, 豆豆聊天室, 聊天室, UT聊天室, 尋夢園聊天室, 男同志聊天室, UT男同志聊天室, 聊天室尋夢園, 080聊天室, 080苗栗人聊天室, 6K聊天室, 女同志聊天室, 小高聊天室, 情色論壇, 色情網站, 成人網站, 成人論壇, 免費A片, 上班族聊天室, 成人聊天室, 成人小說, 微風成人區, 色美媚部落格, 成人文章, 成人圖片區, 免費成人影片, 成人論壇, 情色聊天室, 寄情築園小遊戲, AV女優,成人電影,情色,本土自拍, A片下載, 日本A片, 麗的色遊戲, 色色網, ,嘟嘟情人色網, 色情網站, 成人網站, 正妹牆, 正妹百人斬, aio,伊莉, 伊莉討論區, 成人遊戲, 成人影城,
ut聊天室, 免費A片, AV女優, 美女視訊, 情色交友, 免費AV, 色情網站, 辣妹視訊, 美女交友, 色情影片 成人影片, 成人網站, A片,H漫, 18成人, 成人圖片, 成人漫畫, 情色網, 日本A片,

愛情公寓, 情色, 舊情人, 情色貼圖, 情色文學, 情色交友, 色情聊天室, 色情小說, 一葉情貼圖片區, 情色小說, 色情, 色情遊戲, 情色視訊, 情色電影, aio交友愛情館, 色情a片, 色情小說, 一葉情貼圖片區, 情色小說, 色情, 寄情築園小遊戲, 色情遊戲情色視訊, 情色電影, aio交友愛情館, 言情小說, 愛情小說, 色情A片, 情色論壇, 色情影片, 視訊聊天室, 免費視訊聊天, 免費視訊, 視訊美女, 視訊交友, 視訊聊天, 免費視訊聊天室, a片下載, aV, av片, A漫, av dvd, av成人網, 聊天室, 成人論壇, 本土自拍, 自拍, A片,成人電影,情色,本土自拍,

03 April, 2009 21:21

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

View My Stats
eXTReMe Tracker