This is the official blog of ex-Sgt Ellie Bloggs. I was a real live police constable then sergeant for twelve years, on the real live front line of England. I'm now a real live non-police person. All the facts I recount are true, and are not secrets. If they don't want me blogging about it, they shouldn't do it. PS If you don't pay tax, you don't (or didn't) pay my salary.


(All proceeds from Google Ads will be donated to the Police Roll of Honour Trust)

Thursday, March 25, 2010

An Orwellian Twist

Welcome to all those new readers reaching me via the longlist for The Orwell Prize, you can see the full list here.

Already the blogosphere has come out in whole-hearted support of this blogging policewoman:

"This year bizarrely PC Ellie Bloggs (who is to literature what Mother Teresa was to cage- fighting) is in."

Which I think is recognition of the lauded status of the female and/or police satirist.

Other commentators point out that the longlist tends to include left wing opinions. I would not necessarily put myself in that category, although given that one of the purposes of political/social satire is to highlight folly in the establishment, I suppose it isn't surprising. I've also noticed a suspicious number of candidates called David. Hm.

I didn't know much about the blogging world when I started, and I don't have time to read as many other blogs as I'd like. But it's nice to see blogging rising in status as legitimate journalism, although I still believe it should remain a fairly personal enterprise.

The shortlist is out on 15th April. I'll keep you posted.



-------------------------------------------------------------------------
'Diary of an On-Call Girl' is available in some bookstores and online.

9 Comments:

Blogger Old BE said...

Yours is the only one of those which I read. Keep up the good work :-)

25 March, 2010 16:01

 
Anonymous Retired Sgt said...

Being a happily retired person I can do things like check the results of extreme cage fighting(bantam weight division).Spookily I find that a M.Teresa(Calcutta) has just won the world championship.
So theres hope yet-keep up the good work.

25 March, 2010 18:18

 
Blogger Nelly said...

Congratulations. You deserve it.

25 March, 2010 19:04

 
Blogger Tabby800 said...

Good luck. I love your blog, as a newly retired WPC I will be keeping my fingers crossed

E xx

25 March, 2010 19:25

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck indeed. The sad thing is that your kind of sense is now totally lost in public matters.

26 March, 2010 08:36

 
Blogger Margaret English said...

Congratulations- and good luck with the shortlist.

26 March, 2010 11:06

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are they dumbing down the Orwell then?

26 March, 2010 19:28

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Didn't Nightjack win this and was outed as a result? Be carefull.

01 April, 2010 23:52

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry for my bad english. Thank you so much for your good post. Your post helped me in my college assignment, If you can provide me more details please email me.

23 April, 2010 18:53

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

View My Stats
eXTReMe Tracker